- Location Anahola, Kaua‘i
- Notable 2010 American Planning Association, Community-Based Planning Award
PBR HAWAII, at the request of Department of Hawaiian Home Lands (DHHL), initiated the Anahola Town Center Planning process to bring together a diverse group of community stakeholders including community members and decision makers in a charrette. The charrette was used to make informed and action driven development decisions. Through this planning process, the stakeholders created a physical plan. Synergistic relationships were identified showing how community, culture, education, and commerce can address the community’s needs and desires while optimizing the opportunities of a growing diverse community.
DHHL’s commitment to providing Anahola with the opportunity for self-determination in developing its future prompted DHHL to allocate land in Anahola for a Town Center. Use of the charrette planning methodology inspired both pride and a sense of ownership in a planned town center created for and by the residents of Anahola.
The result of the effort was the creation of a preferred plan designed by the community and the development of a grass-roots Community Management Team. In addition, a storybook was created for DHHL and the Community’s use, as a move toward making the town center a reality.
- Anahola Town Center Community-Based Master Plan
- Ha‘ena State Park Master Plan
- Kahanu Garden Master Plan
- Kuki‘o Anchialine Pond Management Plan
- Lihu‘e Town Core Urban Design Plan
- South Kaua‘i Community Plan
- Statewide Comprehensive Outdoor Recreation Plan 2015
- Transit-Oriented Development Educational Outreach
- University of Hawai‘i-West O‘ahu Non-Campus Lands Urban Design Plan
- University of Hawai‘i-West O‘ahu Makai Lands Long Range Development Plan, Entitlements and Landscape Architecture