- Location Kihei, Maui
- Notable 2013 Betty Crocker Award of Honor - Professional Gardens
The Roundabout at the Intersection of Pi‘ikea Avenue and Liloa Drive opened for use in April 2012 and replaces a multi-lane, all-way stop. It was designed to accommodate large tractor-trailers, while fostering slow driving speeds for pedestrian and driver safety.
Unique features of this single-lane roundabout include being the first:
• Full-sized, pedestrian-friendly roundabout in Maui County.
• Roundabout in the State to use wide, mounded, landscaped medians, and deflective “S”-curves, as a means of achieving progressive speed reduction.
PBR HAWAII’s landscape design for the roundabout consists of ornamental and native plants that provide both color and texture to produce a calming effect for both drivers and pedestrians. The planting arrangement creates a chevron pattern in the medians with the use of Golden Duranta and grass. In addition to Golden Duranta, plant species such as Pohinahina, Hula Girl Hibiscus, Bougainvillea, Natal Plum, Queen’s Palm, as well as 4 to 6 inch diameter stones along the curbs, help keep maintenance to a minimum by reducing water consumption.
The Roundabout offers several public benefits and enhancements:
• Increased vehicle safety through:
o Reducing in vehicular approach speeds
o Reducing in potential vehicular conflict points
o Eliminating the potential for right-angle and head-on collisions
• Enhanced pedestrian safety by reducing the number of vehicular traffic lanes that a pedestrian has to cross from five to two
• The first use in Maui County of Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons for pedestrians along a school route and multi-use trail.
• Supporting the concepts of “Livable Communities” and “Attractive Streetscapes” with:
o Attractive landscaped, mounded medians with palm trees and colorful groundcover
o Inviting, pedestrian-friendly shoulders; and,
o Integration with the adjoining Kihei Greenway Multi-Use Trail.
With the Roundabout at the Intersection of Pi‘ikea Avenue and Liloa Drive the County Department of Public Works sets an exemplary precedence for future roundabouts to be implemented at other intersections around the Island of Maui.
- Ala Moana Center
- Punahou School Grades 2-5 Campus
- Ala Moana Center Expansion
- Allure Waikīkī
- Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa
- Four Seasons Resort at Ko Olina
- Hali‘i Kai
- Ka Makana Ali‘i
- Kahala Nui – Senior Living
- Kamehameha Schools Middle School at Kapalama Campus
- Kapolei Lofts
- Ko Olina Beach Villas
- Ko Olina Shoreline Park Improvements
- Kōlea at Waikoloa
- Kukui‘ula Makai Cottages
- Leeward Community College Education and Innovation Instructional Facility
- Līhu‘e Civic Center – First Phase Improvements
- New Hawaiian Home
- Outrigger Wailea Resort
- Omidyar K-1 Neighborhood at Punahou School
- Po‘ipu Roundabout
- Roundabout at the Intersection of Pi‘ikea Avenue and Liloa Drive
- Sidney and Minnie Kosasa Neighborhood at Punahou School
- Target at Kapolei Commons
- The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas
- Waihonua at Kewalo