In 1882, ‘Iolani Palace was built as the official residence of the State’s last monarchs, King Kalākaua and Queen Lili‘uokalani. PBR HAWAII completed a master plan for grounds restoration which involved mirroring the years between 1890 to1892, the period just before the fall of the Hawaiian Monarchy.
The restoration effort began with extensive research to document conditions that existed on the grounds during the period. Having completed a master plan for the restoration of the Palace grounds, landscape design and construction services have directed the restoration of this 10-acre site, which is the United States’ only royal palace. The Palace grounds restoration included relocation of large palm trees, the demolition of walls and walkways, relocation of pillars, construction of new walkways, installation of an automatically-controlled irrigation system, and the addition of replica posts and light fixtures seen in archival photographs.